Digital detox: how to force yourself to clean your mind

I love traveling.
I used to live in four different countries with absolutely different traditions and religions. I was always curious about world around.
One day friend of mine, srilankan guy, said: 'I think, Angelina, you enjoy by making people jealous via your social media.'

We had this conversation about two years ago and that time we were filming a commercial for the chain of Sri Lankan luxury hotels, and of course, I posted some episodes on my instagram and facebook. It was really hard work: we we waking up about 3 am every single day, driving to the location, filming for like 10 minutes and had long journey back to the hotel. It was not really well paid (it was just the beginning of my model career and everything was new and extremely exciting).
I never posted backstages - but always highlights of a 'luxury living lady'.

After few months I moved to Bali where I realized actual danger of social media.

Nowadays reality is that: we are obsessed with someone else's life. We live hundreds of lives of our friends by scrolling social media. But the worst is that we miss our own life, our own biggest treasure.

One day I was sitting on the beach by myself and enjoying sunset (and thinking of some philosophy as usual). I looked around and saw that nearly ninety percent of people were stuck in their phones: scrolling social media, taking selfies of something... Only one old couple (yes only one!) were there, in the moment, soaking up beauty and power of that magical place.

I thought: 'Oh my God, some of people are saving money for traveling for years to visit places like Bali, and then, they are coming... and not enjoying. It was one of the most stupid (but true) things I've discovered there. And the second was - I am exactly the same, because I found myself checking instagram likes every half an hour.



That time I did not know how much I would stay in Bali, would I find jobs, or else, but I decided to eat this island as much as I could, to learn from it, to save it in my soul.

So I started to force myself to practice digital detox. I launched my own practice to clean up my body and soul. Here some tips for you that I brought back to Europe and try to keep as my routine.



1. Starting morning with sport activities.
I love running. My usual activity is about 5-7 km per day every morning. This winter was truly challenging for me: first winter in Kiev after the island life. But I succeed: I simply bought a ski costume for running. My max temperature for outdoor workout was -6. (but be careful with breathing if you want to keep your workouts with such weather).

2. Use your phone on avia mode.
Sometimes I simply do it to concentrate on things I'm busy with at the moment.

3. Read books. I find my friends (and myself as well!) simply scrolling instagram feed or Stories even without any attention. It becomes a habit: your brain quickly get used to bad things - and reading books becomes very boring thing. I believe that book is the only healthy way to get information: I mean, while reading we are able to 'digest' the information, and internet surfing is always a brainstorm.

4. Call friends. Spend time with people you do love - this is the most precious thing ever. I think this idea even doesn't need to be explained.

5. Go out, try new things, do new things. You can reduce digital hangover (yes you will probably have a hangover!) by doing something you never did before.

6. Accept your anxiety. Realize that this is the main purpose of digital detox - to understand the value of real life. Remember: the best moment and the best you can have is that you already have. The here and the now.











Comments

Popular Posts